A week-long facilitated Parkour experience for kids in Adelaide city and natural surrounds. Monday September 30th – Friday October 4th
We are excited to announce this brand new program!
This school holiday session will be 5 days of activities with qualified and experienced Parkour instructors. The week will be an authentic Parkour immersion of adventure and experiences. We will include a broad range of activities, challenges, games, and workshops – while exploring the city of Adelaide and natural surrounds. Our aim is to give kids skills they can use for living a full life such as resilience, compassion, and wise engagement with risk – all while learning how to move their bodies and having a ton of fun.
Ages 7-14. All welcome, regardless of ability.
- Monday September 30th – Friday October 4th
- 11am – 4pm each day (lunch break approx 12:30)
- Meeting and pick-up locations in the Adelaide CBD (to be sent with booking confirmation)
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday are urban days, Tuesday and Thursday are nature days
$355 for the full week, or $85 for a day. (Save $70 by booking for the week)
NOTE: For the best experience, book in for the full week. If you are only available for some of the days you can book them individually, but the week is designed as a cohesive, immersive experience.
For guidance about the booking process or to contact us with any concerns, jump to the bottom part of this page.
Monday: ‘Point A’, 20 Gunson St Adelaide (https://goo.gl/maps/8j6pXiths8uzToyd6)
Tuesday: ‘East Terrace Glover Playground’, corner Wakefield Rd and East Tce (https://goo.gl/maps/Ghd1SCbwWbCbgvx78).
Thursday: ‘Adelaide Oval East Gate’, War Memorial Dr/King William Rd (https://goo.gl/maps/VcWHncUU41rNqiM18)
WHAT TO BRING:
- Bottle of water
- Packed lunch and snacks (that don’t need refrigeration)
- Clothing for moving freely and getting dirty in
- Any personal medication or needs
- Anything you need to be prepared for the weather on the day
- A small backpack for all the above that can be worn while running
- Shoes that are flexible and tactile, single-piece rubber sole preferred. (Avoid stiff skate shoes, running shoes with plastic arches or thick heels, or expensive/fragile shoes you’re afraid to dirty or damage)
- First aid trained and fully equipped.
- All have Working With Children Checks.
- Active members of the Australian Parkour Association, and the Adelaide Parkour training community.
- Well-trained and practiced facilitators giving a firm foundation of technique and an emphasis on safety and sustainable training practices.
- Use current sports science best-practice to guide their training and coaching.
- Our lead instructor on this program, Harry, has been coaching for upwards of 7 years, leading sessions in multiple cities in Australia (as well as in the USA and Germany) with participants of all ages and ability.
ACCEPTANCE OF RISK
We seek to strike a balance between exploration/autonomy and guidance/instruction. Providing a way for people to engage personally with risk and fear in a controlled way – rather than outsourcing all control to adults – is one of our most powerful offerings. Inherent in this approach is letting people make their own mistakes (within certain bounds) which can lead to bumps, bruises, and scrapes. However, this reduces the potential for bigger injuries and mistakes long-term and is an important part of the Parkour learning experience.
In a similar vein, as this experience will involve moving through public spaces in the city, we will never be able to control every circumstance. We do inspect all locations to be used and have years of experience in navigating the circumstances that can arise.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THIS PROGRAM
Each day we will trace a journey around Adelaide visiting public spaces (both well-known and hidden treasures), and return to the meeting point for pick-up at the end of the session. Along the way we will lead lots of fun and inclusive activities including;
- Running, jumping, landing, climbing, vaulting, rolling, and much more
- Games and challenges
- Technique/skill development
- Team-building and leadership exercises
- Strength and conditioning for the body
- Mobilisation and dynamic stretching
- Animal movements
- Developing flow and control
- Facing risk and fear, and how to work through it
- Artistic expression, and space for self-expression
Through these activities and the leadership of our Instructor team we foster and develop:
- The skills needed to train safely and sustainably.
- Resilience and anti-fragility
- Assessment of risk, management of risk
- An appreciation and connection with natural settings, as well as our urban environment
- Leadership, problem-solving skills, and initiative
- Self-confidence and interpersonal relationships
- Cooperation and a collaborative atmosphere
- Understanding of the benefits of physical activity
- Understanding of training concepts like strength, endurance, and flexibility
- Gross motor skills – posture and body control
OUR APPROACH TO PARKOUR
“Movement is not simply a set of actions, movement is about overcoming and adapting to mental and emotional obstacles as well as physical barriers.” – David Belle (founder of Parkour)
Parkour is a very broad-based training discipline. Fundamentally, it is about preparing for a reach or escape situation (the ‘flight’ to the martial arts ‘fight’). We train by learning how to move through the world around us – using the environment, wherever we are, to challenge ourselves and become stronger. A non-competitive discipline, Parkour is underpinned with this philosophy of self-improvement and developing useful strength and ability. This knowledge translates to our everyday life, and the ability to both think and move to our full potential.
Naturally kids want to explore their environment by climbing, crawling, balancing, jumping and more. It is our privilege to introduce efficient, practical, creative and most importantly safe ways to move and learn.
Practice of Parkour in an authentic way (as we provide access to) creates a very unique and potent mixture of physical and psychological cultivation. Parkour is an intrinsically motivating discipline and a central part of parkour is to recognize one’s limitations and finding your own way to move. This makes parkour ‘radically inclusive’ and self-differentiating in nature. In other words, people can come up with their own movements and solutions and still do it ‘right’. This cultivates a sense of competence for any diversity of people, and carries the potential to motivate kids who are usually withdrawn or hesitant in formal physical education.
Parkour also offers a unique way to face and overcome fear in a safe environment. This is likely to develop a practitioner’s sense of self-efficacy, self-esteem and self-confidence. By necessity, Parkour calls for responsibility towards your own body, others, and the environment. In addition, on a purely physical level Parkour is an exceedingly versatile sport and develops practitioners’ fundamental movement skills, agility, strength, flexibility and endurance in a well rounded way.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
We reserve the right to cancel sessions at any time if there are serious safety or operational concerns. However, we will proudly run in all weather conditions, so come prepared. If bookings are too low then we reserve the right to cancel and will inform you at least 48 hours in advance. If we have to do this we will refund you proportionally.
Cancellations can be made with a full refund if more than 48 hours before the appointment (contact us via email to arrange). If you have to reschedule your day booking, you can do that yourself up to 12 hours out.
If this is your first time training with us we will need a waiver signed. You can download and print it here, or we will have them at the session.
Any questions, concerns, booking problems, or feedback please contact the SAPA team via firstname.lastname@example.org or our social media channels.
Still reading? Head to our booking page via the button below, or at this link: https://saparkour.as.me/schedule.php
Bookings must be made more than 12 hours from the start time of the session. You can contact us to try and arrange a last-minute place if there are spots available, but we can’t make any promises.
Booking Instructions / Troubleshooting
Booking the ‘week package’ unfortunately does not automatically book you into the individual sessions. After confirming payment you’ll need to continue to ‘apply’ the package to the day bookings – there will be a link on the page and in your email. When you are booking the days use your email address or the code emailed to you (you can add all 5 to one transaction using the ‘Add This Time..’ option) and you’ll be able to ‘redeem’ your package. If you get stuck get in touch and we’ll make sure you get your spots sorted.
Both the Week package and the daily bookings allow you to purchase for multiple people at once. Check for the box on the top right before you start the booking process (on the days) or in the checkout (for the package). When entering names booking for multiple people, it is ok for efficiencies sake to just enter one kids’ name.
Again, any questions, concerns, booking problems, or feedback please contact the SAPA team via email@example.com or our social media channels.